A funny thing happened on the way to the RC...............

Brodie, Kent brodie at mcw.edu
Thu Jul 13 23:48:08 CEST 2006

So, I updated my server to the RC version today.   Saved all of my
configuration files, and (based on info from this list!), decided to add
fping to my system this time.    Fping installed, no problem.

Fired up BB.    Then, everyone's pager went NUTS.    100 pages, times 4
pagers.    WHOOOOPS.    The entire world had uh.....   "lost
connectivity."

What had really happened of course is, that the hobbit userid couldn't
run fping, since I had forgotten to suid the executable.    And yes, I
did eventually find it in a log file, but...       But, this had the
very nasty side effect of turning each and every connectivity icon RED.
And then the alerts kicked in.....  And four Duracell batteries died.

I don't know how easy it is to implement, but I have a suggestion worth
looking into?

If fping "doesn't work" (as opposed to, "cannot ping a host"), the
result status should be CLEAR, not RED.       "test not functional" or
"test disabled" or something.

Just a thought!!!!

:-)

Kent C. Brodie - brodie at phys.mcw.edu