Multiple User Admin mode

Aiello, Steve (GE, Corporate, consultant) steve.aiello at ge.com
Thu Jul 13 17:16:12 CEST 2006

Today I am using BigBrother/BBgen 3.6. One of the custom features I have
hacked into our system is the ability to have multiple admin users that
can put servers into maintenance mode. In our BB configuration we made
extensive use of the the HostGroup function. Basically creating an
aliasname for a list of devices. This came in handy when writing alert
rules, I could do one alert rule for a series of devices.

Now for maintenance mode, I hacked the maint.pl script found on deadcat.
That script was then put into a directory that apache password
protected. When you logged in, the maint.pl script compared your login
name to any HostGroup that was defined, and if the login name matched a
HostGroup the maintenace device listing only listed the devices that
were defined by the the HostGroup.

Now I did see the archived mailing list article, Re: [hobbit] New
Features #2 (the 'publish-cookie' option)
(http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2005/05/msg00369.html). That solution
really only limits users from viewing different pages. The maint option
under the device info report is located under the /hobbit-cgi/ and I do
not see a way to limit users from disabling devices they shouldn't. If a
user has an admin password, they seem to have admin rights to all of
hobbit.

Under Hobbit I do not see anyway to define HostGroups, so my old method
will not work. Using HostGroupings seemed ideal in that it linked alerts
being sent to users and the user's ability to disable devices/tests.

 ~Steve