conn test periodically fails (fping execution code 99)

Brian Bernstein bernie9998 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 23:23:42 CEST 2006

I tried upgrading hobbit from 4.1.2p1 to 4.2beta in hopes that it
would either solve to problem, or atleast give a more telling error
message.

I had hoped this would help as this was listed in the notes under
improvements for 4.2 beta:
"If invoking fping failed, the error message was lost and only
a "failed with exit code 99" error was reported. Changed so that
the real cause of the error is reported in the bbtest-net log."

Unfortunately, I am still getting the same exact "failed with exit
code 99" error which is not helping me much in troubleshooting.

Now, I've noticed something else of interest-- there seems to be a
discrepancy in the version numbers for bbtest-net.

Whenever fping is having no issue and bbtest is in a green status,
the version is such:
bbtest-net version 4.2-beta-20060605

However, when the fping fails (as it has been doing every 3 minutes or
so), resulting in the bbtest status to turn yellow,
I get this version:
bbtest-net version 4.1.2p1

Is this a bug of the beta version of hobbit?

Also, I've decided to try to use hobbitping as a replacement for
fping, in hopes that perhaps that will solve my issue.
Following the notes about how to use it, I replace the FPING line to
the new destination, "$BBHOME/bin/hobbitping".
However, I still get the same errors involving fping.  It is as if the
FPING line in the config file has absolutely no effect.

Once again, any assistance in this issue will be greatly appreciated.

-Brian