[hobbit] BBTest Error

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Jul 6 12:53:23 CEST 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 06:11:17PM -0400, David Gilmore wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but what does this mean?
>
> Error output:
> Timeout waiting for data from child, killing it
> Timeout waiting for data from child, killing it
> Child process terminated with signal 15

It is a message that can occur for the network tests (ntp, rpc and
traceroute) that rely on external programs rather than being implemented
natively by Hobbit. It means that the program did not finish testing in
30 seconds, so Hobbit assumes it's hung waiting for some network I/O,
and decides to treat this as a timeout error.

It's a safety measure to prevent e.g. a hung traceroute from stopping
all of the network tests.

If 30 seconds is not enough, you can raise that with the --cmdtimeout=N
option for bbtest-net.

> And can I apply it to my five year old when she is not doing what I ask?  :)

Perhaps ... but you'd better check with your local child-abuse
authorities first :-)