[hobbit] Question/feature request

Eric van de Meerakker eric.vdm at softlution.com
Mon Jul 3 13:51:32 CEST 2006

Hi Henrik,

You're right, at least partially. I found out just now that the issue
was with a misconfigured nsswitch.conf on the FTP server. That file
still had entries for nis and nisplus in it, whicht caused the FTP
banner response to be very slow (just about the length of the network
test timeout I guess :-), due to the hostname lookup. The TCP connection
would be established quickly, but the FTP banner didn't always appear in
time.

But the weird thing is that some green FTP statuses (especially those
following the yellow ones in the history) don't contain any response
string either?!?

I only saw those FTP statuses at first and they made me try to put in
some debugging code to get the actual response on the web page, directly
behind the "Unexpected service response" text. My first attempt crashed
the bbtest-net executable the next time the failure occured (exactly
because there was no response, so I rewrote it to catch that and put in
an explicit "(null)" text when no data was received), but in the
meantime I found the cause of the issue.

Also, the "Seconds: N.NN" reported seems to be the time in which the TCP
connection to the FTP server was established, not the total test time.
That makes sense I suppose for the TCP timing statistics, but it threw
me off-track in finding the solution for this problem. A yellow FTP
status with 0.12 seconds duration did not indicate a timeout to me ;-)

BTW, I'm testing this on the 4.2 beta release with recent patches. I'm
in the process of installing a new Hobbit server in our remote
datacenter to monitor the production systems locally, so we won't
experience Internet outages as downtime for our services (we're already
running Hobbit remotely on two oldish servers from two remote offices,
outages in ADSL connections in reporting actual service downtime to our
customers). Alerts from the datacenter will go out through SMS. We're
very happy with Hobbit so far!

Regards,

Eric.