multiple hosts

Rolf Schrittenlocher Schrittenlocher at rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Jan 11 09:37:43 CET 2006

Hi,

as there was no answer to my first mail, I try again with other words:

Our machines may have one or more aliases (virtual hosts) which all have
DNS-entries. Normally we refer to the machines not using the hostname
but by the alias, each of them combined to a bundle of functions and
tasks. So a machine "frodo.xxx.de" might host "webserver.xxx.de",
"dnsserver.xxx.de" and "tolkserver.xxx.de".  These aliases and of course
the tasks related to them are transferred to another machine in case of
hardware failure, maintenance, etc.
In bb-hosts we have an entry for each machine (to get data from this
machine in case there is no alias set on it) and of course for all
relevant aliases. What we need now is that the general client data (cpu,
disk, ssh, ...) for each machine appears both with the hostname and all
aliases set on it.
I added a script to runclient.sh which creates
~/client/etc/clientlaunch.cfg dynamically according to the aliases set
on the machine before starting the client. This assures that the correct
data is polled on the client. I may modify $MACHINE or Í may use the
CLIENT:hostname tag in bb-hosts to make the client send messages with a
different name. But that would require several instances of the client
running, somethin I dislike. I hope there is a way to send the client
data once and to make the server look at some configuration file to see
where he should  present these data. Maybe that possibility exists but I
haven't found it yet. So I hope that someone could indicate me where to
search for the places which I have to "hack" hoping that it is possible
to do that with shell or perl as my C-knowledge isn't so good. But even
if C is necessary: Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks Rolf

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Rolf Schrittenlocher

HRZ/BDV, Senckenberganlage 31, 60054 Frankfurt
Tel: (49) 69 - 798 28908   Fax: (49) 69 798 2881
LBS: lbs-f at mlist.uni-frankfurt.de
Persoenlich: schritte at rz.uni-frankfurt.de