[hobbit] Devmon : a bbxsnmp.pl & routermon replacement

Schwimmer, Eric E *HS EES2Y at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Fri Feb 24 05:05:03 CET 2006

Well, to be honest, the code is still far from what I would consider
"good" :)

The template code, which is run once for every device during every
polling cycle, is far from optimal (by far the slowest part of
Devmon thus far; if there are any Elder Perl Gods out there that might
want to throw some Perl wisdom my way, please feel free).

Multi-node IPC is also kind of a hack, too, since its all done through
the MySQL server (if someone wants to port Devmon to Postgres or
some other DB, or even take a shot at optimizing the current MySQL
tables, please do so.  I am not a DB guru).

That being said, it runs pretty solid.  Starting up a multi-node
cluster takes some patience and little TLC, but once it's running it
works fairly well.

As to making Hobbit the default config: choosing between Hobbit
and BB was a no-brainer for us here.  Hobbit is "Just Better".

-Eric