Devmon : a bbxsnmp.pl & routermon replacement

Schwimmer, Eric E *HS EES2Y at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Feb 23 19:58:33 CET 2006

Hi everybody,

I've been working on a little project for the past 6 months or so, one
that is designed to replace bbxsnmp.pl, routermon, and other similar
SNMP data collectors for the Hobbit and BigBrother monitoring systems.

In my (extremely biased) opinion, it is one of the better SNMP data
collectors out there.

Just a few key highlights:

 . Fast: Uses psuedo non-blocking SNMP queries (basically forked snmp)

 . Scalable: If you want to poll many remote devices very
   quickly, you can configure Devmon to work in a clustered
   configuration across multiple machines.

 . Easily managed: After the initial configuration, all host management
   is done by editing your display server's bb-hosts file.

 . Very customizable:  Via the Devmon template system, a savvy sysadmin
   can use Devmon to monitor virtually any type of SNMP capable device.

The project went up on SourceForge as of about 30 minutes ago; it's
web page is at:
  http://devmon.sf.net

You can download it form there, leave a message in the forums, join
the mailing list, etc.  I'm hoping that this will be the only Devmon
message that goes out to the Hobbit list;  if you have any questions
or comments for me, please please please either send them to me
personally,
or, preferably, join the Devmon mailing list and post your questions
there.

And last, but not least, I'd like to thank Henrik once again for his
excellent work on Hobbit, as Devmon wouldn't be very useful without it!
:)

-Eric Schwimmer
Network Engineer
UVA HSCS Network Engineering