[hobbit] Logfile monitoring - I'd like some comments

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 15 07:28:36 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:59:22PM +0800, Vernon Everett wrote:

> Henrik, I have given this a bit of thought, and think it's great.
> (I refer to your proposal here, not my capacity for thought.)
>
> Would it be possible to add custom strings and status?
>
> A perfect example would be this. (from /var/adm/messages)
> ---snip---
> Feb 10 13:31:15 afgdev tldd[649]: [ID 138416 daemon.error] TLD(0) drive
> 2 (device 1) is being DOWNED, status: Unable to open drive
> ---snip---
> Anywhere else, this would not be a major issue, but on my backup server
> where my tape library is attached, this is a major red alert.

Of course you can do that.

You should note that the config that gets pushed to the client is
merely a list of logfiles, and a rough filter to avoid sending
all of the log to the Hobbit server.

You still configure what messages trigger an alert in the
hobbit-client.cfg file on the Hobbit server - and in your case,
you would just set things up to trigger a critical alert when
this message shows up in your backup server logfile.