[hobbit] Numbers lost in status report

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Feb 13 21:44:51 CET 2006

On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 01:54:23PM -0600, Hubbard, Greg L wrote:
> Hobbit folk:
>
> Here is something interesting.  I wrote a custom test today that sends
> over data in pretty much the same format as used in the other custom
> tests that I have written lately.  Problem is that my numbers are
> getting lost!  I even added trailing text and it arrives, but the
> numbers do not.
>
> According to my debug information, the numbers are being written in the
> status message that goes out the door, but when posted by the server on
> the status page they are gone.
>
> Any ideas on how to start to debug this?
>
> Solaris 8, Hobbit 4.1.2p1

First, double-check your custom test! If you add - at the top -
a "BB=/bin/echo; export BB" then the command to send the status
message off to Hobbit will just dump the status message to
stdout - which goes into the logfile, normally. See what your
status message looks like - and check if it's what you expect.

Next check what hobbitd actually receives from your custom test: Run

   bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdlog HOSTNAME.COLUMNNAME"

That gives you the raw status log which is received by hobbitd.

If the numbers are there, you probably have some HTML tags in
the status message which your browser chooses not to display.

If they are not there, then you have an "interesting" situation.
(As in "I have no idea how that can happen"). In that case, I'd
like you to enable the --trace option for hobbitd: You'll need the
IP address of the host that sends you this message, and then
add "--trace=IP.OF.SENDING.HOST" to the hobbitd command in
hobbitlaunch.cfg. With that, hobbitd will create a file in the
~hobbit/data/tmp/ directory logging all traffic from this host.