[hobbit] Hobbit Sensitivity lowered?

Chris Wopat chrisw at supranet.net
Wed Feb 8 23:55:12 CET 2006

Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:20:30AM -0600, Chris Wopat wrote:
>
>>I switched from BB to hobbit about a month ago and have been generally
>>happy. One thing that's "different" is that Hobbit seems to be more
>>sensitive to services timing out, such as during an http check.
>

> The default timeout for network tests in Hobbit is 10 seconds. You can
> change it via the --timeout=N option (N is in seconds) for bbtest-net
> in hobbitlaunch.cfg.  See the bbtest-net(1) man-page...
>
> BB uses a fixed 20 second timeout.

Thanks, I will bump this to, say, 15 and test. I was misreading the
graphs in the hobbit pages at times to be ms, when really it's seconds.

> How many tests do you run ? (See the status in the "bbnet" column for
> your Hobbit server). It's a well-known problem that Hobbit can actually
> flood some networks/firewalls with connection setups, resulting in
> some tests showing up as failed one moment, and OK a few seconds after.
> You might want to lower the number of concurrent tests that bbtest-net
> runs via the --concurrency=N option - the default is 256.

According to bb-hosts, it looks like 290 hosts, with an average of 2-3
tests per (many are just single pings, about 80 have http checks and a
few others). I'm unsure what you speak of when you say "bbnet column"-
in the html result pages, or in server/etc/* ?

>>Is there an appropriate way to do this without hacking code and finding
>>the timeout period?
>

> Read The Fine Manual :-) You'll find them on your Hobbit server webpages,
> in the "Help"->"Hobbit man-pages" section.

Aye. I'll try the first timeout to be a bit longer, then tweak the
concurrent tests if need be.

Thanks,
--Chris