[hobbit] Hobbit Sensitivity lowered?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 8 21:39:37 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 11:20:30AM -0600, Chris Wopat wrote:

> I switched from BB to hobbit about a month ago and have been generally
> happy. One thing that's "different" is that Hobbit seems to be more
> sensitive to services timing out, such as during an http check.

The default timeout for network tests in Hobbit is 10 seconds. You can
change it via the --timeout=N option (N is in seconds) for bbtest-net
in hobbitlaunch.cfg.  See the bbtest-net(1) man-page...

BB uses a fixed 20 second timeout.

> I don't see anything in bb-services related to this, is there any global
> setting somwhere to permit me to allow a check to take a few more ms to
> respond before it's considered "red"?

Millisecs shouldn't make any difference. It's a global setting - not in
the bb-services file per service - because all of the network tests
really run in parallel. Having individual timeouts is just
un-manageable.

> My bb2.html file is frequently red
> due to this, although it only lasts a few seconds.

How many tests do you run ? (See the status in the "bbnet" column for
your Hobbit server). It's a well-known problem that Hobbit can actually
flood some networks/firewalls with connection setups, resulting in
some tests showing up as failed one moment, and OK a few seconds after.
You might want to lower the number of concurrent tests that bbtest-net
runs via the --concurrency=N option - the default is 256.

> Is there an appropriate way to do this without hacking code and finding
> the timeout period?

Read The Fine Manual :-) You'll find them on your Hobbit server webpages,
in the "Help"->"Hobbit man-pages" section.