[hobbit] Memory check

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 8 09:25:58 CET 2006

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 08:34:21AM +0100, Rolf Schrittenlocher wrote:
> We are working with Solaris 9 and for them unfortunately there is no
> ACTUAL MEMory presented. But PHYSical MEMory is always high on some
> machines runing a database in warm standby for the same reasons as
> Henrik explained. In other words: The way it is this test is useless for
> us. I'd prefer other columns of vmstat checked as io, etc. Did anyone
> work in this direction or where have I to dig in trying these changes?

Most of the data you want to look at is available in the vmstat data
which Hobbit also collects. And it is highly OS dependant - there is
no "one-size-fits-all" solution to memory monitoring or memory
management.

My plan is to make it possible for any test (cpu, memory ...) to have its
status modified by some of the data collected by vmstat (currently, the
vmstat data is only used to feed the graph data, not to change a color
or trigger alerts). But that will require some serious re-arranging of how
a status is handled internally by Hobbit (it needs a feed-back mechanism
from the hobbitd modules back into hobbitd, and a mechanism for
modifying the color of an existing status without causing huge amounts
of history updates due to the color changes. Plus some way of
configuring the whole thing. But then it would also let you do neat
stuff like using the standard Hobbit configuration tools to configure
alerts based on custom-built tests and things like that).