[hobbit] dns query load?

Charles Goyard cgoyard at cvf.fr
Thu Dec 21 11:20:12 CET 2006

Daniel J McDonald wrote :
> I'd like to monitor the number of dns queries hitting my external DNS
> servers.  there is a bb script that supposedly does this - bb-dns-load,
> but I'd like to know if anyone has got it working with the hobbit
> client.

Hi,

I use the dnsload script with hobbit.

Here's a crontab entry :

*/5 *   * * *   root    /usr/local/hobbit/client/ext/bbdl-roll.sh >/dev/null 2>&1

I also modified bbdl-roll to change the location of tmp files, because
ext/ didn't look good to me :

in bbdl-roll.sh :

BB_EXT=/usr/local/hobbit/client/tmp

in bbdl-stats.sh, replace all "$BBHOME/ext" with "$BBHOME/tmp".

Wait a few cycles so the statistics initialize, and then add bbdl-stats
to clientlaunch.cfg.

For the server-side grapher, I use :

NCV_dnsload="Queryrate:GAUGE,*:NONE"

[dnsload]