[hobbit] Graph Presentation

Tom Georgoulias tomg at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Mon Dec 18 17:56:38 CET 2006

James Wade wrote:

> I've modified the old larrd bb-iostat.sh script to
> send iostat information to Hobbit so that I could
> graph busy and wait states of disks, and it works
> great.

> 1) I have several NFS & Hard Mounts that I'm checking
> busy and wait states for. A lot of them get NaN's because
> the busy and wait states are 0, zero.

NaN means no data, not zero.  If the busy/wait states are 0, the graphs
should show zero as well.  Sounds like your RRD files aren't being
updated each time.  Have you changed or reordered the output format of
your script since you started sending the data into your hobbit server?
  If so, you will need to delete the rrd files on the hobbit server for
the iostat tests and let Hobbit recreate them.  RRD does not allow you
to change the data format on the fly like that.

> I can tell it to only graph something that is greater than
> a number, but I would prefer that it did not list the filesystem(s)
> that have NaN's below the graph. Can this be done?

What if the filesystems are 0 instead of NaN?  Is that OK?  If so,
fixing the RRD issue mention above will take care of that.

> 2) Also, when graphing a lot of data, you get all the colors,
> but it becomes difficult to figure out which one belongs
> to which data. Is there a way to have rrd give you the datapoint
> information when you move the cursor over it? ie, I put the
> cursor over a line, and it says, /export/home, and gives me the
> numbers.

I doubt it, but I'm not an rrd expert so I don't know for sure.  It'd be
a cool feature.
--
Tom Georgoulias
Systems Engineer