Help with disk monitoring

Bailey, Edward ebailey at transunion.com
Mon Dec 11 22:21:16 CET 2006

Hello,

I have recently inherited a sizable Hobbit environment so please have
patience with my general ignorance of all things Hobbit. Our Hobbit
works really well except for one notable exception and I can't figure
out why. We have a series of boxes that run an application and for some
reason these systems will not monitor the /opt file system and alert us
when /opt goes over 90% even though these boxes have the same Hobbit
setup like the others on the server side and the client side.

The only difference I can see is that the /opt file system is mapped
differently on these systems. Most systems use something like

/dev/sda5 120G 82G 73% /opt

But the problem systems use

/dev/mapper/sysvg-opt 120G   82G   32G  73% /opt

Also the file systems from these problem servers show up differently as
well. The standard file system mounts are displayed without an issues
but the LVM maps display the mount point but nothing else

/dev/mapper/sysvg-opt
/dev/mapper/sysvg-var
/dev/cciss/c0d0p1      2016016    216060   1697544  12% /
/dev/cciss/c0d0p2      3020172    950024   1916728  34% /usr

The problem servers also have the follow error in the client side log

Mon Dec 11 15:53:21 2006 bb-local.sh /opt/Big_Brother/bb/bin/bb-disk.sh:
line 180: test: : integer expression expected
Mon Dec 11 15:58:21 2006 bb-local.sh /opt/Big_Brother/bb/bin/bb-disk.sh:
line 180: test: : integer expression expected
Mon Dec 11 15:58:21 2006 bb-local.sh /opt/Big_Brother/bb/bin/bb-disk.sh:
line 180: test: : integer expression expected
Mon Dec 11 16:03:21 2006 bb-local.sh /opt/Big_Brother/bb/bin/bb-disk.sh:
line 180: test: : integer expression expected

>From bbdef.sh

#
# LOCAL CLIENT MONITORING CONFIGURATION FOR bb-local.sh
#
# WARNING AND PANIC LEVELS FOR LOCAL SYSTEM INFOMRAION
# YOU CAN SET VALUES ON A SPECIFIC FILESYSTEM BY USING
#       THE etc/bb-dftab FILE
#

DFWARN=90                               # (YELLOW) DISK % TO WARN
DFPANIC=95                              # (RED) DISK % TO PANIC
export DFWARN DFPANIC

The lines above and below line 180 of bb-disk.sh

 MARK=""
                        if test "$DISKPCT" -ge "$DFWARNVAL"         #
ABOVE WARNING LEVEL
                        then
                                if test "$DISKPCT" -ge "$DFPANICVAL"
# ABOVE PANIC, RED ALERT !!!
                                then
                                        COLOR="red"
                                        MARK="PANIC"
                                        MARKLEVEL=$DFPANICVAL
                                        HIGHMARK="PANIC"
                                        GIFCOLOR="&red"
                                        REDLINE="${GIFCOLOR} ${DISKNAME}
(${DISKPCT}%) has reached the defined disk space ${MARK} le
vel (${MARKLEVEL}%)
${REDLINE}"
                                else

By default all servers are set to alert at 90% and 95% percent.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Ed Bailey

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments contain information which may be confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the contents of this information is without authorization and is prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify us by returning it to the sender and delete this copy from your computer system.  Thank you.