[hobbit] Accessing "client data" from a server side ext script? (Re: [hobbit] Alerting on number of times a keyword appers in a logfile?)

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Mon Dec 11 20:41:57 CET 2006

Writing client-side scripts is difficult in my environment because I
have dozens of servers whose hobbit directories are on a shared SAN, so
for any client-side script that needs to only run on a few hosts, I have
to put checks in to make sure that $HOSTNAME is equal to the hosts I
want it to run on.  Also, the builtin linecount function is already
sending the counts for the keywords to the hobbit server, so why run
another process on the client to do the same thing when the server
already has the data.

Since my last email I have figured out how to access the client data
from the server.  In my case this is:

./bb 127.0.0.1 "clientlog prod-web-12
section=linecount:/apps/apache/logs/access_main_log"
Which returns:
[linecount:/apps/apache/logs/access_main_log]
SessionTimeouts: 1756

So now I can make a server side ext script which processes the latest
linecounts and sends alerts if they exceed a certain threshold.
Hopefully Henrik will add a more graceful solution for this in a future
version of Hobbit.

-Charles