[hobbit] Configuration database backend.

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Dec 8 21:53:46 CET 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 04:32:46PM +0100, Stef Coene wrote:
> On Friday 08 December 2006 13:39, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > > Hendrik, can you confirm that the config files are compliant with the
> > > ini-style of config files ?
> > > If so, parsing with perl is easy.  If not, maybe we can make them
> > > compliant.
> >
> > Uhm, no - I don't think they are.
>
> And what about switching to ini-style config files in the next version?  I
> don't know (but I'm sure there is) if a ini-file library exist for C.  It
> exists for perl and it's very easy to parse and even generate config files.

The problem is that these configs don't match ini-style files. With
ini-files, you have only one possible selection criteria - the name of
the section in the ini-file. But the client- and alert-configuration
uses lots of different criteria - you can use hostnames to control who
gets an alert, but you can also use testnames, or time-of-day, or the
page the host is on, or just the color of the status. Ini-style
configuration cannot cope with this - at least, I cannot imagine how.