configure error for ssl on SunOS solaris 9

Rolf Schrittenlocher Schrittenlocher at rz.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Aug 30 15:45:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

it took us some hours to find out the reason for the following error
occuring during configure of 4.2 on Solaris 9:

"Checking for OpenSSL ...
Found OpenSSL include files in /usr/local/ssl/include
dlsym
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /etc/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlopen
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /etc/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlclose
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /etc/lib/libdl.so.1)
dlerror
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libcrypto.a(dso_dlfcn.o)  (symbol belongs to implicit
dependency /etc/lib/libdl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to test-ssl
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
gmake: *** [test-link] Error 1
WARNING: OpenSSL library files found in /usr/local/ssl/lib, but link fails.
Continuing with SSL support disabled."

The reason was that the link to ld was missing in Makefile.SunOS used by
Makefile.test-ssl. Adding it as
NETLIBS = -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl    (org)
NETLIBS = -lresolv -lsocket -lnsl -ldl    (new)
in Makefile.SunOS solved the problem. I don't know if our solaris setup
is somehow specific or ig this can be added generally to this file.

greetings
Rolf

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen
Rolf Schrittenlocher

HRZ/BDV, Senckenberganlage 31, 60054 Frankfurt
Tel: (49) 69 - 798 28908   Fax: (49) 69 - 798 28817
LBS: lbs-f at mlist.uni-frankfurt.de
Persoenlich: schritte at rz.uni-frankfurt.de