[hobbit] Hobbit cluster and DRDB

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Fri Aug 18 01:04:31 CEST 2006

> I am less interested about BB+DRBD+RHLinux combination for
> implementing system monitoring clustering. Instead, I am more
> interested about Hobbit+Solaris 10+Sun Cluster software.
> Sorry to hijack your subject into mine.
>
> Sun Cluster software is now free for use( see R1)
>
> R1: http://www.sun.com/software/cluster/

I use hearthbeat (for all our linux cluster) and suncluster (for 2
solaris cluster). I don't have a big knowledge of SunCluster but it
seems to me really more complicated. From what I remember you also need
a fc disk or some scsi disk connected to the 2 machine to work as quorum
device for the cluster and it's a bit intrusive inside the OS kernel
with his drivers (I don't know if with solaris 10 and new version of
suncluster something has changed).

I know it's more sophisticated but also really more complicated and
difficult to setup related to heartbeat and it's free to download and
use but I don't know how much support you'll get for the free version if
you have a problem.

Hearthbeat setup will take about 5 minutes and all you have to do is to
edit 2 file ...
And it also run on Solaris (I didn't test it but at least it's what's
written on the website :D)

Francesco