[hobbit] Host Notes

Francesco Duranti fduranti at q8.it
Tue Aug 15 00:12:16 CEST 2006

Just some idea for some little feature that can go in 4.2.1 :P
Well before starting the list I've to say that the 4.2.0 realease is
really fantastic :D With the possibility of client update directly from
the server it will take just some hour to update all client or also to
change the extention used or some configuration file...
Thanks for the really good work !!!

1) the client Class in the info page (also some other info that just you
can get on the bb-hosts and put on the info page like if the client is a
pulldata client or na normal client and things like that)
2) on the status page the "Status message received from 10.202.1.201:19"
is trunkated and don't show the complete port number
3) inode checking with disk check (well it should be easy and there's
already the code to do the graphs)
4) the possibility for client that are not hobbit-client at this moment
to send some kind of information to put on the info page (for example
the version and some thing like that, useful for script that monitor
storage system or oracle database to send information regarding the
version of what they're monitoring)
5) in the info page the notes appear only if there's a html file in the
notes directory, it should be nice to edit notes from there if there's a
script to do the editing....
6) another thing regarding notes, it should be nice if the notes system
will allow the user to put also some kind of web links on the notes
pages of hosts so that one can put links to real documentation of that
host or generic documentation regarding for example network
infrastructure into the network objects monitored). It should be also
nice if the documentation itself is saved in some kind of xml or text
file and if a html file exist in the notes directory a link to it is
visible on the notes pages... I don't know how clear this one is :P but
just to explain I'm starting to deploy cfg2html on every machine because
we need a full documentation of what's on every machine but it would be
really nice to have
	a) a Notes pages with some host related information like what
the host is dedicated to, people responsible for application on that
machine, telephone number and so on
	b) some generic link (for example grouped with CLASS definition)
	c) some specific link for that host
	d) if a hostname.html or hostname.txt is present in the notes
directory a link to it (this can be usefull for cfg2html files that can
be copied directly into the notes directory from some scripts).
	e) make the possibility to choose from the configuration if
those link can be opened directly in the same page or into a new page...
7) The possibility to put one or two web page documentation link on the
info page (well if the notes is done well i think there's no need for
this one :P)
8) a kind of template definition for the classes ... I think i'll end to
have about 10 different client setup and about 10-15 kind of file
monitoring (used mostly to check the remote nfs mount point instead
changing the hobbit-client shell) different template and not everytime
they'll be the same so I will mix monitoring and update and I think I'll
mostly end with at least 30-40 different CLASS definition... It should
be nice to create a kind of template for the class definition to include
file monitoring or clientversion update...
9) .... It's possible to have some more "w" directly on the ps command
in the hobbit client? Something like ps -www ... Some long java commands
are not displaying and the check on them is a bit difficult to do ...
10) the possibility to add some more checks to the metric page (for
example I'm getting graphs for weblogic server, oracle database and
netapp server and they'll not get there (I think I'll have to put some
more definition on the hobbitgraphs.cfg file ... I'll check on how to do
them ...)

Well ... :P i've done just some requests :D
Thanks for the real good work again!!

Francesco