Madness

Everett, Vernon Vernon.Everett at dpi.wa.gov.au
Fri Aug 4 04:52:05 CEST 2006

Hi all

Will Hobbit be OK monitoring 2 separate clients with the same host name?

I know this is madness, but right now, I have to live with it.

We have 2 servers on our network with the same hostname.
(Different IP address, of course, but if I use the hostname or uname
command, I get the same name.
For the sake of discussion, let's call it pluto.

It ended up like this because there are services running on old_pluto,
that are being migrated to the new_pluto, but only half the services are
migrated, and due to planning inadequacies, the migration is stalled -
at least for the time being.

I still want to minitor the services on both though.

I know I can create an alias on the Hobbit display, but will there be
problems with the data sent from the Hobbit client, or will the Hobbit
server be happy with this?

Cheers
   Vernon