[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may Ilose from migrating?

J Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Wed Aug 2 18:22:02 CEST 2006

Stephane Caminade wrote:

> Have you considered setting up some kind of Heartbeat or VRRP system ?
> At my lab, we use VRRP to share one IP between a master DNS and a
> secondary DNS which takes over if the primary fails (we have the same
> system for our web site and our mail server).
> If the slave cannot contact the master, it takes over the 'public' IP,
> and can start some services, like bind or dhcpd for example.
> There seems to be the same kind of possibilities with Heartbeat, but I
> haven t looked into it yet.
> You could maybe set up your "b" site to start sending notifications in
> the event that site "a" is unreachable ?

We thought about this, and the problem with the generic solutions is that they
 tend to be active/passive. We need both sides active and fully functional all
the time, just without redundant notifications, and the failover mechanism of
bb does exactly what is needed, out of the box.

We could, given enough time and effort, implement something that would do what
we need, but management tends to be very conservative about change, and very
reluctant to allow us to spend time on anything not related to the current
projects. It's the power of inertia, and the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix
it" mentality. IOW, the bb/bbgen-3.6 combo is "good enough" to keep running.