[feature request] Dynamic or Split NCV

Charles Goyard cgoyard at cvf.fr
Wed Aug 2 17:05:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

at my company we tend to graph just anything. As long as we were with
larrd (written in Perl), we could trick the grapher to accept
ever-changing list of data source my making a rrd file for each data,
holding one DS per file and looping over patterns.

With hobbit, we have a nice NCV semi-automatic way of graphing things.

But I want to trend, say, the number of mysql connections per user at host :

status databaseserver.int.cvf.sqlcnx green

foo at appserver01.int.cvf on content = 2
foo at appserver02.int.cvf on content = 4
statinjector at appserver02.int.cvf on stats = 1
statreader@@backendserver01.int.cvf on stats = 31
bar@@backendserver01.int.cvf on traces = 3
bar@@backendserver02.int.cvf on traces = 4

I can't do it with NCV, because if I add a new appserver03, it won't
make have its slot in the rrd file.

So I'd like to see something like (S for Split or Single) :

SNCV_sqlcnx="/.+ on .+/:GAUGE" that would yield :

/usr/hobbit/data/rrd/~$ ls databaseserver.int.cvf/
sqlcnx.foo at appserver01.int.cvf_on_content.rrd
sqlcnx.foo at appserver02.int.cvf_on_content.rrd
(and so on)

Since I really need it, I can always try to add this into hobbit. Would
it be possible to implement it as a new channel or it has to be into the
code rrd handling ?

--
Charles Goyard - cgoyard at cvf.fr - (+33) 1 45 38 01 31