[hobbit] Hobbit newbie from BB: differences and what may Ilose from migrating?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Aug 2 09:31:16 CEST 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 10:18:36PM -0700, J Sloan wrote:

> Brodie, Kent wrote:
> > Basically, you lose NOTHING when you change a BB server to a Hobbit
> > server.
>
> We'd like to replace bb with hobbit but there's no way we can't do without the
> bb failover mechanism. We have 2 separate data centers, and while there are bb
> servers in both data centers monitoring the hosts on both sides, only side "a"
> does notifications. When side "b" can not reach side "a", then side "b" "fails
> over" and takes on the notification tasks, until side "a" becomes reachable again.
>
> There's nothing like that in hobbit yet, but if there were, we'd be able to
> make the switch.

I won't say it is being worked on, but it is definitely on my agenda.
My own setup is identical to yours, except that we have a procedure for
doing the failover from site "a" to site "b" manually. I've done some
planning for how to implement an active/passive cluster-like setup in
Hobbit, so ... it's coming.