BBWin Preview 0.8 available

Etienne Grignon etienne.grignon at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 16:45:24 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I publish today BBWin 0.8 (a free Big Brother Hobbit Windows client).

You can download the MSI installer of this preview from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bbwin

This preview contains the following stuffs:

+ New Features
* svcs agent has now a delay setting which tell the agent to do not
  monitor the Windows services for a short time after the startup
  of the computer
* Msgs agent have priority and count options
* You may use environment variables for hostname and paths settings
(registry and BBWin.cfg)
* Cpu agent can monitor uptime like the original Big Brother client.
It is off by default.
* Cpu agent reports usage for each cpu
* ext directory is now created at the installation so the tree really
looks like hobbit tree.
* hostname, logpath, binpath, etcpath, tmppath registry settings can
be environment variables (e.g.: %VARNAME%)
* default hostname is %COMPUTERNAME%

+ Updates
* cpu agent on multi processor computers is now sending the correct cpu
  usage
* disk is now reporting correctly disk which had a size smaller than 1 mb
* autoreload is now on by default
* BBWin doesn't exits any more on configuration errors
* Msgs default delay for matchs rules may be overridden by a generic setting
* Msgs now reports date with 24h time format

+ Important note :
* A memory leak has been discovered in BBWin 0.7 due to a bug in the
CRT library shipped
with Visual C++ 2005. I'm forced to use the Visual ToolKit 2003 since not update
is available yet for this bug. (SP1 public download not yet available)
Here the page that explain the bug :
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=129031&SiteID=1&PageID=0
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=98861

Important Upgrade note : If you are upgrading from an older BBWin
version, the disk, procs, and externals
agents may not be upgraded because of a version error in the old
package. So, the easiest way to upgrade BBWin
to 0.8 is to delete disk.dll, procs.dll and externals.dll before the
upgrade or by doing a repair by the MSI package
after the upgrade.

There are not too many new features in BBWin 0.8 in appearance but,
deeply, it was an important upgrade
because I changed a lot of thing so BBWin can have the centralized
mode hobbit mode to follow the steps of the Unix side. Because it
wasn't enough terminated and because the hobbitd backend part is not
yet started,
I didn't include it in BBWin 0.8. However, this version corrects many
stuffs. To finish, as you can see,
I'm a bit slower than Henrik to implement features... I'm still an
hobbit padawan :)

Have a nice day,

--
Etienne