I'm starting to look at setting up 'propr' monitoring for my production SAP environment, and wonder if anyone else is playing with HACMP clusters

Kauffman, Tom KauffmanT at nibco.com
Thu Apr 27 15:28:55 CEST 2006

I need to split the monitoring for SAP and Oracle from the monitoring of
the host it runs on -- because, in an IBM HACMP environment, the
workload can move. So the oracle tests, *some* of the disk space tests,
and *some* of the proc tests move from one box to another.

So does the primary IP address.

I need to be able to track 'colorado' the box (the hostname does NOT
move) as well as 'colorado' the IP address. 'Colorado' the address could
actually be pointing to the 'thames' or 'yukon' boxes. At which time,
'colorado' the box will be responding to the 'colorado-bt' adapter
address (if 'colorado' the box is up at all).

I can get some of what I want by running two clients, one for 'colorado'
the box, and one for 'SAP' or some other such synthetic name. The
biggest two challenges I see are splitting the OS filesystems from the
application filesystems for freespace reporting, and the shifting IP
address. I may have an 'out' on the IP address in the future, if I can
migrate to what IBM calls 'aliasing' -- where they add the running
address as a second address on the adapter and respond to both.

And to make this a bit more fun, I have THREE of these silly
environments to work with.

Henrik, is there any way to hang two different IP addresses on the same
bb-host entry such that the network connectivity test will be happy if
either one responds? They are always on the same IP network, just
different host addresses (our convention is to add 100 to the last octet
to get the boot-time address for the matching run-time address).

Is anyone else doing something silly like this?

TIA

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the
exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in
reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message
and its attachments from your computer system. We do not waive
attorney-client or work product privilege by the transmission of this
message.