[hobbit] 4.2 - Critical systems ACK?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Apr 7 16:26:38 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 09:58:09AM -0400, John Glowacki wrote:
> I think I understand mostly how KN Editor is designed to work.
>
> Search button seems to only work for exact hostname matches.
> Next button goes to next record.
> Host: hostname.  Example web1
> Resolver group: Is which group or person to contact to resolve problem.
> Host is MANAGED: days and hours rule applies.
> Host becomes MANAGED: Date to start monitoring
> Host becomes UN-MANAGED: Date to end monitoring
> Instruction: Is a note for any kind of special instructions to follow.
> Clones of this host: Add hosts with the same requirements as defined
> above. Example web2 could be a clone of web1.

Right on the dot. Either you're a genius, or I managed to get that
editor window made almost self-explanatory :-) Or something in between.

> The thing I just noticed. When I ACK a something on the Critical Systems
> page it shows a check mark, but the bb and bb2 pages don't show a check
> mark. Is this by design or a bug?

Not sure, actually. I would be most inclined to call it a bug. But the
idea is that there may be several people who acknowledge a problem - one
group (the 24x7 monitoring operators) acknowledge it on the Critical
Systems page, but that won't stop the alert pages from being sent. The
techs can acknowledge it once they start working on the problem. Senior
management may acknowledge it to show that they are on top of the
problem. So at what level should it show up as "acknowleged" ?

(Note that this isn't implemented yet, but the ack from the critical
systems page is the beginning of it).

I think I'll just settle for the "any ack counts" philosophy, and then
it is a bug.