[hobbit] DNS Testing

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Sep 13 14:24:05 CEST 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 03:57:28AM -0700, Bob Gordon wrote:

> In looking at the bb-hosts man page (DNS Server Test section), I see that
> the syntax is "dns=hostname" or "dns=TYPE:lookup"... Any way to make it look
> at a specific DNS server as well? ( i.e. dig @dnsserver hostname )

It will always test the DNS server upon which this dns query is defined.
E.g. you have two DNS server and you want to check if both of them can
resolve "www.kernel.org", so you put this in the bb-hosts file:

  10.0.0.1   dns1.foo.com # dns=a:www.kernel.org
  10.0.0.2   dns2.foo.com # dns=a:www.kernel.org

The first one sends the request to the dns1 server, the second request
goes to the dns2 server. Just like all of the other network tests.