Graphing revisited

Rich Smrcina rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
Fri Oct 21 13:44:14 CEST 2005

I've read the archived messages, the man pages and the doc and I still
can not seem to get this right.

I have an external test that sends a message to Hobbit, something like this:

status vm1.sp_util green 21 Oct 2005 06:28:31 Spool Utilization 16 %

(this is what is sent by the external script, is there a way to see what
is actually received?)

I've modified the 'extra.sh' script to check for this test:

if [ "$TESTNAME" = "sp_util" ]
then
         # Analyze Spool Utilization message
         SP_UTIL=`grep "Spool Utilization" $FNAME | awk '{print $10}'`

         # The RRD dataset definitions
         echo "DS:sp_util:GAUGE:600:0:100"

         # The filename
         echo "sp_util.rrd"

         # The data
         echo "$SP_UTIL"
fi

I've added 'sp_util' to the --extra-tests option in the rrdstatus
section of hobbitlaunch.cfg

I've added this section to hobbitgraph.cfg:

[sp_util]
         TITLE Spool Utilization
         YAXIS Spool Utilization
         DEF:avg=sp_util.rrd:sp_util:AVERAGE
         CDEF:sp_util=avg,100,/
         AREA:SP_UTIL#00CC00:Spool Utilization
         -u 1.0
         GPRINT:sp_util:LAST: \: %3.0lf (cur)
         GPRINT:sp_util:MAX: \: %3.0lf (max)
         GPRINT:sp_util:MIN: \: %3.0lf (min)
         GPRINT:sp_util:AVERAGE: \: %3.0lf (avg)\n

An rrd file is being created and a link is being put on the status web
page, but no graph is being displayed.  Just the text 'hobbit graph
sp_util', which is the alt tag in the img definition.

This leads me to believe that there is something wrong with the graph
image itself.

Are all of these steps correct, where did I go wrong?

Thanks.
--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2006 - Chattanooga, TN - April 7-11, 2006