[hobbit] Hobbit Client vs netstat and vmstat columns

Andy France Andy at zespri.com
Thu Oct 13 22:47:38 CEST 2005

henrik at hswn.dk wrote on 13/10/2005 06:39:05 p.m.:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 12:30:13PM +1300, Andy France wrote:

> > I've only just started migrating from the BB client to the hobbit
client,
> > starting with my hobbit server.
> >
> > Everything looks fine, except the netstat and vmstat columns are now
> > purple.  The odd thing is that the RRD files are still being updated!

> Hobbit doesn't generate a specific column for the netstat and vmstat
> data - similar to how LARRD worked if you had LARDCOMM=DATA configured
> in your bf-larrd.sh script. You probably had LARRDCOMM=STATUS ...

Oh!  That's probably it :-)  I've dropped the columns and will rely on
trends to view the graphs from now on.

> > Also, although my vmstat.rrd file is being generated, the graph is
> > broken.

> It shouldn't break just because of switching from the BB client to the
> Hobbit client. It WILL break, if you migrate your server from BB
> to Hobbit - the BB vmstat data was a terrible mess with different data
> layouts for each operating system, so the format of the vmstat RRD
> files just isn't compatible between BB and Hobbit.

> Any errors in your rrd-data.log (or larrd-data.log) file ?

Only the odd "illegal attempt to update using time" message for various
hosts, nothing specific to errors in vmstat.

This server has only ever run hobbit and not BB.  I have tried removing the
vmstat.rrd file and letting it get re-created but this still results in a
broken graph.

I guess I need to brush up on the rrdtool syntax to check if the data file
looks as it should?

> Regards,
> Henrik

Thanks,
Andy.

This email is intended for the person to whom it is addressed
only. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read, copy
or use the contents in any way. The opinions expressed may not
necessarily reflect those of ZESPRI Group of Companies ('ZESPRI').

While every effort has been made to verify the information
contained herein, ZESPRI does not make any representations
as to the accuracy of the information or to the performance
of any data, information or the products mentioned herein.
ZESPRI will not accept liability for any losses, damage or
consequence, however, resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of this e-mail/attachments.