[hobbit] Getting doubled alerts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Oct 6 07:22:49 CEST 2005

On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 03:27:07PM -0700, Brehm, Scott wrote:
> Is it normal to get two alert messages if an event matches two rules?

Yes.

> Is there a keyword to suppress multiple alert emails from the same event?
> I've been running 4.0 for a while, but just getting in to configuring
> alerts. My hobbit-alerts.cfg includes the following:
>
> HOST=* SERVICE=conn
>         MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red
>
> HOST=%atscm
>         MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red
>         MAIL person2 at titan.com COLOR=red
>
> HOST=%atscs
>         MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red
>         MAIL person3 at titan.com COLOR=red
>
> I want alerts for any connection problems, but only want alerts for
> other hosts if they come from two specific sets of hosts.

As you've found out yourself, EXSERVICE=conn on the two host-specific
rules will do it. Instead, you could also use the keyword "STOP" with
the "conn" rule - like

 HOST=* SERVICE=conn
         MAIL sbrehm at titan.com COLOR=red STOP

This will make the alert-handler stop looking for recipients after your
general "conn" rule has been matched.