[hobbit] hobbitclient + msgs test sugesstion

Allan.Marillier at dana.com Allan.Marillier at dana.com
Wed Nov 30 14:02:15 CET 2005

A log file monitor would also need to consider what happens when logrotate
(or other switching mechanism) switches logs, as the inode and file offset
may (or will) change. I know some people have a cron job which copies the
log, then truncates the original log file. In this case the inode won't
change, but the file contents / offset will. There are many things to
consider, I'm sure Henrik will come up with a good solution.

Manu <yoogie at schurkennetz.de>
11/29/2005 05:38 PM
Please respond to
hobbit at hswn.dk

hobbit at hswn.dk
cc

Subject
Re: [hobbit] hobbitclient + msgs test sugesstion

Hi,

Why should the log-entries, hobbit-msg-monitor should look after be
maintained centrally on the hobbit server? Are important log-entries
essential on a sql-server as well in every case as on a firewall? I
think that there are different things on different servers you want
hobbit to take care about...
Maybe I missed the point...

To reduce overhead, you can use a similar mechanism as logtail does.
Storing the file offset in conjunction with the inode-id would grant
you never check an entry twice.

Maybe, having a closer look at logsentry from the sentry-tools
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/sentrytools) would help finding an
appropriate way of realizing this.

Kind regards,

Manuel