[hobbit] Using hostname instead of IP in bb-hosts

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Nov 28 09:38:06 CET 2005

On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 09:32:41AM +0100, Manu wrote:
> I'm using the release candidate 4.12p1 on debian linux and several others.

Just to clarify, 4.1.2p1 is a full release version - release candidates
always have "...rcX" in the version number.

> My problem is, that I have to monitor computers which are connected to
> the internet by a dialup dsl connection. Those are getting a new
> ip-address from the isp every 24 hours and ddclient is updating it to
> dynamic dns.

Put them in the bb-hosts file with IP "0.0.0.0" - that tells Hobbit
they have a dynamic IP.

> 10.0.0.101  host1 ...
>
> and realized, that I misspelled the ip-address. So I changed it to
> 10.0.0.103 but hobbit keeps pinging the old ip address.

Hobbit will in fact always use the hostname and do a DNS lookup,
unless you've put "testip" on that entry in the bb-hosts file,
or you are using the "--dns=ip" option for running the network
tests. So first you should check what IP "host1" really resolves
to (use the "host" or "dig" commands) - and don't forget to check
the local /etc/hosts file on the Hobbit server.