[hobbit] Re: Custom RRD graphs

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Nov 12 08:25:26 CET 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:57:31PM -0600, Dan Vande More wrote:
> Ok, I found the issue.
>
> Though I've written dozens of bb clients, I've never come across
> exactly how BB expects the information. This might be hobbit specific

It is a result of how the NCV handler in hobbitd_rrd expects data to
be formatted, so yes - this is hobbit specific.

> however. In my original email, I stated I was sending the data from my
> script like:
>
> home/monitor/bb/bin/bb 1.2.3.4 "status iron1-mgmt.Memoryutil green
> Memoryutil : 11"
>
> This is not the correct way to do this hobbit-wise. You need to put a
> \n in between the color status and the data you're pushing via ncv.

I've updated the hobbitd_rrd man page and added this to the section on
how to use the NCV data:

  Note that each "NAME : value" must be on a line by itself. If you have
  a custom script generating the status- or data-message that is fed
  into the NCV handler, make sure it inserts a newline before each
  of the data-items you want to track.

That should hopefully make it clearer - I'm sorry it bit you.

> Perhaps it's just my interpretation, but I think we should reword the
> documentation to explicitly say we do not need to do any
> --extra-script or --extra-tests if one is using ncv.

Agreed - did that as well.

> Finally, I perused a lot of the man pages and code for the past few
> hours, and only found one error - and that was a spelling error. In
> ~hobbit/server/etc/hobbitgraph.cfg, temperature is misspelled:
> # comment out the [tempeature] section above, and

Fixed :-)

> I'm now using ncv for collecting 8 datapoints and it appears to
> collect and graph data flawlessly. Thanks for the solid implementation
> Henrik.

Thank you for reporting what you found - that is the kind of feedback
I need to make Hobbit better.