[hobbit] Moving all appearance-related HTML attributes to menu.css?

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed May 25 23:47:36 CEST 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 04:27:29PM -0500, Kevin wrote:

> Looking at the actual code, it appears that the backgrounds can
> be adjusted through the BBBACKGROUND tag, but to change
> the text colors I would have to manually edit each of the twenty
> hobbitd/webfiles/*_header files?
>
> Is there any reason not to remove most of the attributes currently
> on the <BODY ...> and <FONT ..> tags in each of these files,
> and instead rely on styles set in hobbitd/wwwfiles/menu/menu.css?

I would love to have this managed by a stylesheet, but I just haven't
got the time or urge to figure out how to accomplish this. So if you
or someone else out there feel like tackling this, please do!

(The only reason it's done like this is because it was the easiest way
to get started back when I started doing the tools to replace parts of
Big Brother. I'm not particularly proud of that, and it would be a great
benefit if the look-and-feel of Hobbit was easier to customize. Getting
it into a stylesheet would be a huge step in that direction).

It might be necessary to do some code-changes to accomplish this fully,
since the HTML generation is hopelessly embedded into the code. In most
cases, it uses the font specs defined in hobbitserver.cfg - but you
still have the "<font" tag. I'll be happy to help with this if you can
tell me what's needed to move this into a stylesheet.