[hobbit] hobbit documentation and packaging projects

Vernon Everett v.everett at afgonline.com.au
Wed May 25 03:02:37 CEST 2005

Hi Henrik

A documentation project would serve multiple purposes.
1. By documenting something, you reinforce your own knowledge of what
you
   document. (Something a few of us could use)
2. If it is used, it would leave you with more time for interesting
stuff
   like coding :) which will give you time to create an even better
product
   instead of wasting time answering e-mails from people like myself who

   didn't bother to RTFM properly. (See quotes below.)
3. It makes it easy for anybody - even junior sys-admins to implement
Hobbit
4. By making things really easy, you increase adoption. I have abandoned

   many tools in the past simply because they are too poorly documented
   be easily implemented. This will increase your user-base.
5. Right now, a mailing list and e-mail is easy to manage. But how many
   sites out there run Hobbit? What happens to your coding time when
that
   doubles? Triples? Increases tenfold?

Don't get me wrong, I love the cosy feeling you get from a mailing list.
I also love ribbing the Microsoft guys in the office when I get e-mail
from the author of the product giving me assistance. I always tell them
"Let's see you do that with Micro$oft". :-) But like any other open
source product out there, to really grow, it needs better docs.
Where would Linux be if it weren't for those handy How-to docs?

Nobody is expecting you (Henrik) to do all the documentation. There are
plenty of us out there who have sufficient knowledge to contribute to a
documentation project, and even more who would benefit from it.

Documentation projects I see as being really useful.
1. Basic FAQ (Anybody can contribute to this, just by providing the Q)
2. Setting up your own tests (How-to)
3. Creating custom graphs (How-to)
4. Simple setup guide. Most users would be sys-admins, so we don't need
much
   help there , but we all have areas of speciality and ignorance. As an

   example, I struggled to get the web pages right, but only I have
never
   set up a web server before.
5. A detailed trouble-shooting guide. (Something most products don't
have)
   Most products have a good how-to, but nothing detailing what to do if

   something doesn't work, or goes wrong.
6. A list of bb scripts "converted" to work on hobbit. If you had to
modify
   any bb scripts from deadcat to work correctly with Hobbit, what did
you
   do, and why.
7. There's probably a hell of a lot more, but I have only had 2 double
   espressos this morning, so I am still struggling to think properly.
(Time
   for another 2)

A number of these can be explained by doing an RTFM on man pages for
Hobbit, LARRD, rrdtool etc. etc. and then trying to tie the knowledge
together.
However it would be a lot easier and more efficient to create a new doc,
detailing just the bits of each that we need to run Hobbit effectively

Cheers

Motivational quotes for this project :-)

People do not cooperate under the division of labour because they love
or should love one another. They cooperate because this best serves
their own interests. Neither love nor charity nor any other sympathetic
sentiments but rightly understood selfishness is what originally
impelled man to adjust himself to the requirements of society, to
respect the rights and freedoms of his fellow men and to substitute
peaceful collaboration for enmity and conflict.
- Ludwig von Mises

It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker,
that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.
- Adam Smith