[hobbit] [BB] bb-hosts, DNS name for BBDISPLAY?

Daniel J McDonald dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com
Fri May 20 18:49:52 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 16:32 +0000, David Gore wrote:
> David Gore wrote:
>
> > Is there any reason you would want anything more than one line in your
> > bb-hosts file on the client?

Yes, there should be at least two.  The host itself, and the BBDISPLAY
server(s).  As I have two BBDISPLAYs I would have three entries in most
bb-hosts files on clients.

Granted, in the case where the client is running on the only BBDISPLAY
is a special case where only one is required.

>   Does the client have to have an IP
> > address, or could you use the DNS name?

DNS is preferred.

>  If I can use the DNS name,
> > why wouldn't I want to do that?

If you are using microsoft DNS, then DNS would be less stable than wins
used to be, and you wouldn't want to rely on it.  Other than that there
should be no reason..

>    It almost looks like if I set the
> > address to 0.0.0.0, it will use the DNS name?

Yes.

>  Or at least the name I
> > have in bb-hosts.
With should be fully qualified.

>   Obviously, if DNS is down that is a problem,

But you've already been paged on that one... right?

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CNX
Austin Energy

dan.mcdonald at austinenergy.com