[hobbit] NK allevents log

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun May 8 07:42:02 CEST 2005

On Sat, May 07, 2005 at 07:13:46PM -0700, Brian Lynch wrote:

> Would it be possible to create a log of only NK events? We currently use
> bbgen views to present a limited view to our NOC (via the bbgen ignore
> strings) and then use a custom php program to parse the allevents log and
> only pick out events that would have shown up on their view. We use this as
> a metric to track successful escalation of alerts. I'm considering switching
> to the NK model, but it would require a more complex program to identify NK
> alerts. Any thoughts?

Add "--nklog" to the bbgen command in hobbitlaunch.cfg. This creates a
logfile of what's on the NK status view every time it is generated by
bbgen - it's currently in $BBHOME/nkstatus.log, but it will move to the
$BBSERVERLOGS (i.e. /var/log/hobbit) shortly.

The format of the file is
  timestamp <TAB> color <TAB> HOST (TEST:COLOR) <TAB> ...
if you want some tool to process it. The timestamp is the Unix "epoch"
time, i.e. seconds since Jan 1 1970 UTC.

"--nklog" also creates an "nk" status for the Hobbit server, which tracks the
color of the NK page. Meaning you'll actually have a statistic of how
much of the time your NOC monitor is red or green.

> PS. Switching live to clustered hobbit in 2 weeks! Thanks for all your hard
> work!

Thanks :-)