[hobbit] extension to larrd module for Apache 1.x - patch

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat May 7 22:57:18 CEST 2005

Hi Uwe,

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:56:07PM +0200, U.Kirbach at EnBW.com wrote:

> to measure performance data (Busy/Idle Servers) also for Apache 1.x servers
> not only for Apache 2.x i would suggest to include these small patches
> (made with "diff -uBbw") to hobbitd/larrd/do_apache.c and
> hobbit/server/etc/hobbitgraph.cfg
>
> This produces 2 additional data sources in the apache rrd (for busy servers
> and idle servers)
> --> inconsistency with existing rrd files

I'm curious why it is necessary to add more datasets.

An Apache 1.3.27 server I have provides this data:
   Total Accesses: 988370
   Total kBytes: 9415292
   CPULoad: .0035971
   Uptime: 586028
   ReqPerSec: 1.68656
   BytesPerSec: 16451.9
   BytesPerReq: 9754.71
   BusyServers: 4
   IdleServers: 10

An Apache 2.0.54 server looks like this:
   Total Accesses: 34406
   Total kBytes: 100346
   CPULoad: .00730915
   Uptime: 82773
   ReqPerSec: .415667
   BytesPerSec: 1241.4
   BytesPerReq: 2986.52
   BusyWorkers: 1
   IdleWorkers: 9

The only difference is the keyword (BusyServers/BusyWorkers and
IdleServers/IdleWorkers). So a much simpler patch would be to recognize
both keywords and use the same dataset - that would avoid incompatible
RRD-files, and also allow for upgrading Apache without losing your
historical data.