[hobbit] BB and Hobbit on same server

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 23 22:56:56 CET 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 01:41:10PM -0800, Bob Gordon wrote:

> Is there a way that I can run Hobbit and BB on the same server with
> them both listening to traffic on port 1984?   I am running into an
> internal political issue at the office and as of now this is the only
> way that I am able to resolve the issue...

Don't you just love politics ...

You cannot do that directly, since only one program can listen on a
specific port-number. But there are ways of doing it.

One solution is to setup your BB to handle the incoming data on port
1984, and then define the BBRELAY option in your bb-hosts file to make
BB copy all incoming messages to Hobbit. You can add
"BBRELAY:127.0.0.2" and then have Hobbit listen on the 127.0.0.2 IP by
adding "--listen=127.0.0.2:1984" to the hobbitd command in
hobbitlaunch.cfg.

(Depending on your OS, you may need to setup 127.0.0.2 as a valid
address. Linux appears to work without any special handling, but I
believe Solaris needs to have the IP plumb'ed before it will work).

The other solution involves using the bbproxy utility from bbgen or
Hobbit to receive the incoming messages, and then have bbproxy forward
them to both BB and Hobbit, either listening on another IP-address or
port-number.