How to integrate Hobbit and MRTG

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 23 17:48:54 CET 2005

I've been playing about with MRTG today, and found out that adding
MRTG graphs to the Hobbit set of graphs was a very simple task.
Since this is probably something that others can use, I've written
up a short description of how to do it:
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/hobbit-mrtg.html

The short story is that you can configure MRTG so that it stores its
datafiles in RRDtool format directly into the directory where Hobbit
looks for all of the other RRD files for a host. So with a "mrtg"
entry in the hobbitgraph.cfg file and an extra entry for "mrtg" in
hobbitserver.cfg's GRAPHS setting, I've got the MRTG graphs showing up
as normal Hobbit graphs on the "trends" page:

http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOSTSVC=fenris,hswn,dk.trends&IP=172.16.10.254&DISPLAYNAME=fenris.hswn.dk
(a bit down that page, 3rd and 4th last graphs)

The detailed view is here:

http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit-cgi/hobbitgraph.sh?host=fenris.hswn.dk&service=mrtg&first=1&count=1&action=menu

I did make one simple tweak to the Hobbit code for this - hobbitgraph
normally bundles graphs into bunches of 5, which doesn't work well for
the MRTG graphs. So I made the "5" configurable so I could get one
graph per network interface.

I think it's neat :-)