completely confused

Tim Rotunda trotunda at opushealthcare.com
Sat Mar 5 19:32:27 CET 2005

Ok, maybe I have spent too much time looking at too many different man
pages for too many different products.  Whatever the case may be, I
could really use a cold slap in the face.

I want to monitor anything and everything I can on 100+ servers (numbers
growing monthly) all over the US.  Some are HP-UX, some are Linux, some
are Windows.  I am focused on HP-UX and Linux for now.  I would like to
use bb-central so that I do not have to deploy clients across my
enterprise, but I won't be so stubborn that I won't use bb-clients, as I
really need to have a hand full of remote servers monitored (cpu, disk
space, etc) by next Thursday.  I am trying to fend off a "wannabe"
administrator who is pushing Nagios, which I do not want to deploy.

Ok, here are the questions (please forgive my ignorance).....

-         It looks like I need to install Hobbit and BB-Client to
monitor the OS level on the Hobbit server.  True?

-         Can I "hobbit" enable my applications to report status from
remote servers without any middleware (bb-client)?

o       I would think this could be a "one liner" in my apps (20-30 of
them) to report their internal status.????

-         Where can I see the message format for sending my own messages
to the display server, if that is possible?

-         It looks like if I want to use bb-central:

o       Do I need both bb-server and bb client on the display server?

o       Should I modify bb-central to not use BB or maybe just rewrite
that functionality to fit hobbit?

Any advice, comments, suggestion welcome.

Thanks,

Tim Rotunda

I.T. & Systems Integration Manager

Opus Healthcare Solutions, Inc.