hobbit 4.0.4 hobbitgraph.cfg: iostat

Erwin.Furth at Postbankmail.nl Erwin.Furth at Postbankmail.nl
Tue Jun 14 16:36:08 CEST 2005

I upgraded from bb/bbgen to hobbitd and I am very pleased with the new
server. However, I had a few problems with the iostat graph definition
in hobbitgraph.cfg as included in the hobbit-4.0.4 distribution.

Here is the definition as distributed:

===== hobbitgraph.cfg fragment =====
[iostat]
        TITLE I/O Utilization
        YAXIS Stats
        FNPATTERN iostat.(.*).rrd
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@B=@RRDFN@:b:AVERAGE
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@A=@RRDFN@:asvc_t:AVERAGE
        DEF:p at RRDIDX@W=@RRDFN@:wsvc_t:AVERAGE
        CDEF:p at RRDIDX@t=p at RRDIDX@B,5,GT,p at RRDIDX@B,UNKN,IF
(1)     LINE2:p at RRDIDX@t#@COLOR:@RRDPARAM@
        COMMENT:\n
(3)     COMMENT:@RRDPARAM@\n
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@B:LAST:B       \: %5.1lf (cur)
(2)     GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@B:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)\n
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@B:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@B:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@A:LAST:asvc_t  \: %5.1lf (cur)
(2)     GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@A:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)\n
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@A:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@A:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@W:LAST:wsvc_t  \: %5.1lf (cur)
(2)     GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@W:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)\n
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@W:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:p at RRDIDX@W:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)
(4)

=====

I listed my problems in order of decreasing severity:

(1) There is a syntax error in the LINE2 definition for iostat: @COLOR
should be @COLOR@

(2) The legenda has linebreaks at the end of GPRINT lines for (max).
This means you get a legenda like this (simplified to save space):
	B      <B-cur> <B-max>\n
	<B-min> <B-avg> asvc_t <A-cur> <A-max>\n
	<A-min> <A-avg> wsvc_t <W-cur> <W-max>\n
	<W-min> <W-avg>
By moving the linebreaks to the end of the GPRINT line for (avg) you
would get a better lay-out:
	B      <B-cur> <B-max> <B-min> <B-avg>\n
	asvc_t <A-cur> <A-max> <A-min> <A-avg>\n
	wsvc_t <W-cur> <W-max> <W-min> <W-avg>\n

(3) The line COMMENT:@RRDPARAM@\n is not really needed since it only
repeats the text already shown in the LINE2 line (unless you add more
graphs for the same filesystem).

(4) on the other hand, a COMMENT:\n as separator after the GPRINT lines
would improve the lay-out of the legenda

I attached a patch file that fixes these problems. It can be applied
against either the source copy in hobbit-4.0.4/hobbitd/etcfiles or the
active copy in ~hobbit/server/etc. I hope this helps someone,

Regards,
E. Furth

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.