[hobbit] macros in hobbit-alerts.cfg & fatal error

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Jul 30 23:37:00 CEST 2005

Hi Tracey,

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 11:29:07AM -0400, Tracey L Rogers/AC/VCU wrote:

>  I'm new to the hobbit list this week I just installed our first hobbit
> server (migrating from Big Brother).  In testing I have hobbit working
> with our qpage sever but when I tried to create a macro in
> hobbit-alerts.cfg for pager recipients I received a fatal signal error for
> hobbitd_alert  it then went purple I see in the archive that there is a
> patch??

Several bugs have been fixed since 4.0.4 was released, so it would be
nice if you could try out the current (4.1.1) version available on
sourceforge.net.

I dont recall any bugs specifically in the hobbitd_alert module, so
it could be that you've just triggered a bug which is still there.

There ought to be a "core" file in the ~hobbit/server/tmp/ directory
from the hobbitd_alert crash. I'd appreciate it if you could run it
through the procedure described in
   http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/known-issues.html#bugreport
to try an narrow down exactly what went wrong. Also, if I could
have a copy of your hobbit-alerts.cfg file it might give me a clue.
(Send it to me directly, not to the list).

> I'm running 4.0.4 on Red Hat AS 3  and have I seen a security issue about
> this version of hobbit for DoS attacks??

Some of the bugs fixed in 4.1 could be used to crash Hobbit, so
yes - 4.0.4 does suffer from a known problem that could cause a
security problem by letting an attacker disable your monitoring.