[hobbit] Adding custom LARRD graphs

Charles Jones jonescr at cisco.com
Tue Jan 25 00:12:35 CET 2005

Charles Jones wrote:

> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
>
>> and use the "bb" utility to send it off as a "data"
>> message to Hobbit. E.g. the following script runs your perl script,
>> stores the output in a temporary file, and uses the "bb" utility from
>> a Big Brother client installation to send this datafile to Hobbit
>> in a "data" message:
>>
>>   #!/bin/sh
>>
>>   /foo/perlscript >/tmp/datafile
>>     BBHOME=/usr/local/bbc
>>   export BBHOME
>>   . $BBHOME/etc/bbdef.sh
>>
>>   $BB $BBDISP "data $MACHINE.orasync
>>
>>   `cat /tmp/datafile`
>>   "
>>
>> Now the fun bit starts. Hobbit will automatically pass data-messages
>> to all tasks monitoring the "data" channel.
>
> Can you tell me the difference between using "data" and "status"?  The
> reason I ask is because I looked at the hobbitd/larrd/do_bea.c
> (because it was the smallest one), and I notice in the comments that
> script that feeds it is using "status" instead of "data".
>
> Thanks,
> -Charles

Opps, scratch that....the do_bea.c is definitely not the smallest one,
and I should have looked at the one you suggested :-)  I would still
like to know the difference between, and when one should use, data vs
status though.

Now that I am looking at d0_bbgen.c, it does look very simple...I will
give a try at making my own.  Thanks again.

-Charles