[hobbit] Report in Excel format

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Jan 22 22:50:36 CET 2005

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 02:38:28PM -0500, Jeff Stoner wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 09:20 +0100, Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> > I've had some requests for generating reports in CSV (comma-separated
> > values) format. That is one option; a more flexible solution would be
> > to export the report data in an XML format - since everybody seems to
> > be adopting XML as a universal data exchange format, I think that
> > would make the most sense.
>
> Suggestion: make it modular! There are hundreds, possibly thousands, of
> formats out there. Do The Right Thing (tm) and simply make an API so
> others can tack on a report writer that outputs their favorite
> format.

This sounds "obviously correct", and it is a path that I've tried
to follow in other parts of Hobbit; e.g. the way it is split into
a fairly simple (stupid) daemon, and then a simple way of adding
modules that act on the messages that arrive.

Any ideas for how such an API should be ? What data should it make
available ?