[hobbit] Report in Excel format

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Tue Jan 18 08:09:38 CET 2005

Asif Iqbal <iqbala-hobbit at qwestip.net> wrote:

> Is it possible to add a feature to be able to create report in Excel
> format? My director was wondering if that is possible.

I'm not a hobbit expert, but I bet that would be difficult: Excel uses a
proprietary format, which means that only MS is able to speak it
correctly.

Other projects speak the Excel format by reverse engineering it, and
face the threat of getting incompatible at each new release. MS tends to
break compatibility often in the Office suite because that's a good way
to toss competitors (and moreover, it pushes customers to upgrade if
they want to keep compatibe).

You can export in tab separated values format (TSV) or comma separated
values (CSV) and import that into Excel, though.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
Publicité subliminale: achetez ce livre!
manu at netbsd.org