[hobbit] qtree graphing: adjusting # qtrees displayed per chart

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Feb 24 17:05:43 CET 2005

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 09:55:45AM -0500, Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> Now that netap filer qtree trending is built into hobbit, how can I
> adjust the number of qtrees that are charted in a single graph so that
> it is more readable?  Right now all of 12 my qtrees are appearing in a
> single graph, so it's hard to follow the status.  Disk graphs split up
> to contain 5 partitions/graph, so I'd like for my qtree (and inode, for
> that matter) graphs to be the same.  How can I adjust that?

It should split up automatically on the "trends" page. I hope it does
that?

On the service status page, it is currently hard-coded into the
bb-hostsvc CGI script to do the split only for "disk" reports. This is
neither elegant nor flexible ... but doing it 100% correct would
entail scanning the RRD directory for matching files every time you
view a status - or if you run with the statically generated HTML
status logs, every time a status message is received. That's
expensive.

So the bb-hostsvc currently - when it sees a disk report - simply
counts the number of non-blank lines in the status message, and takes
that as the number of disks to generate graphs for.

It could do the same for inode- and qtree-status displays. I'll send
you a patch to test that lets you configure what status-displays
should get this treatment.