[hobbit] acks through email

Henrik Stoerner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Feb 23 00:02:57 CET 2005

On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 05:43:22PM -0500, kevin grady wrote:
> So looking at the format of bb alert messages the subject line is:
>
> !BB - 2827410! prodsqlclstr1.prod.smartbargains.com.sql-server -
> 999010100001240
>
> Where in hobbit without bb the subject line format is:
>
> BB [770509] vicious.smartbargains.com:ftp is RED
>
> Is there a way to modify the subject line format in hobbit to match bb
> the bb format or does bb-mailack.sh need some mods for this to work?

It shouldn't matter. bb-mailack does some processing to filter out the
"fluff" in a mail message, and picks up all of the data it needs from
the subject line - regardless of whether it is in BB or Hobbit format.

I'd start the troubleshooting by adding a line or two to echo the
data bb-mailack sends to Hobbit. Just before the line
  $BB $BBPAGE "ack ack_event ${NUMBER} ${DELAY} ${MESSAGE}"
could you add this:
  echo "ack ack_event ${NUMBER} ${DELAY} ${MESSAGE}"  >>/tmp/mailack.log

Then do a couple of mail-ack's and check out what's in the log file.
My first suspicion is that the ack-number is wrong, since that will
mean that Hobbit silently discards the ack-message.